Monday 11 January 2010

Thailand: Bangkok - A Sunday stroll through Thonburi

There is nothing better on a fine sunny morning, than get up and go for a leisurely walk.....
and yesterday was no exception. Armed with comfortable shoes, my camera and a water bottle, I made my way downtown to the Chao Phraya River and boarded the courtesy boat to the Millennium Hilton..
the start of my walk.



En route we pass the 5-star Bangkok Peninsular Hotel





Close by is the Millennium Hilton, a stunning building.....





The boat takes me directly to the hotel's own pier, from whence I head,
bold as brass, through the riverside restaurant, up the steps, past the
conciege checking room numbers and out through the lounge to the main door.....
I think, if I had a mind for it, I could have partaken with breakfast without
being charged.........


Thonburi, although part of Bangkok, has a distinctly different air about it....
Here there are few "tourist sites" so I always feel much on my own.
Apart from the river frontage, with its gleaming towers blocks, little has
changed with the streets beyond.. winding, somewhat confused and in
places I forget I am in a great metropolis.....











Within this 'backwater' there are a number of interesting places

Behind this shrine to the Buddha is an old fort -
Pong Patchamit Fort built in 1852 during the reign of King Rama IV
as a defence against attack from the river side.













Today the fort was closed, although the exterior walls are about
all that is left of interest......






This mighty cock has mad its home amongst the battlements.....







Riverside entrance to the Chee Chin Kho,
A Sino-Thai Buddhist temple.....


I really like the outer courtyard here as there are a number of unusual sights!!











Decorated  Banyan tree with carved face in bough.....



 

There area number of temples around here, like so much of
Bangkok. This "boat" caught my eye, outside Wat Thong Thammachat -
a Sino-Thai memorial house in the shape of a boat.....



 

and many canals, too. Although, like this one above,
little more than an rubbish dump........



 

This "Fat Buddha" image is in a side courtyard of a temple








This Sino - Thai Spirit House is like a number in the area.
This one is situated on a small bridge over a canal.....









A little further along, my path takes me besides the waters of the Chao Phraya River
and I see a glimpse of this post modern apartment ....










However, on reflection, I still prefer the old wooden neighbourhood houses.....











and their traditional ways...here red chillies are drying in the heat of the sun...














Around the corner is "The Princess Mother Memorial Park"
all peace and quiet .....wonderful..











and I end my walk, once again, at the Memorial Bridge....











1 comment:

  1. Lovely Nigel, good to see some more blog action happening, keep them coming..... takes my mind of the snow and bad weather back in the UK

    ReplyDelete