Thursday 17 September 2009

Laos: Vientiane - Further impressions

Laos has its independence and has shaken off the yoke of colonialism.
I noticed, though, that the central part of Vientiane, close to the Mekong still has a  French influence with its patisserie and bakery shops with their enticing freshly made gateaux and baguettes, the  boutique style hotels, bars, ex-pats and  the French backpackers, that are present in numbers on the streets in this part of the city. Once I stepped outside this "zone" I discovered the real Laos, well as much as I could in the short space of time that I had.

Of course, I was luckier than most visitors in the fact that I had a friend close at hand. I was left to 'do' the sights, but everyday we would meet up. It was Bruce who took me to the Thai Embassy to renew my Visa; it was Bruce who took me to the local market; it was Bruce who showed me the best places to eat, outside the more obvious 'tourist' places and it was Bruce who welcomed me to his home, introducing me to his family and together with one of his sister's cooking me a delicious home cooked dinner.




 
That Dam
In the middle of a small roundabout, close to the US Embassy in the centre of the city is this old stupa, known as That Dam, or the Black Stupa.  Legend has it that the stupa was once covered entirely with a layer of gold. This being carted off by the Siamese in 1828 when they sacked the city, after which the stupa was given its present name. There is, however, a second legend, which is rather different. This one says that the That Dam was the home of a 'dormant' seven-headed dragon which came to life during the 1828 war in order to protect the local inhabitants. However it obviously never saved the stupa's gold.......!!

Vegetable seller I saw on the edge of town......
 
Walking through the shady precincts of a Temple

 
I really liked these two painted posters

 
and this!
  
Enjoying a soft drink.........!!!!!
Bruce's parental home lies south of Vientiane and faces the Mekong River.  During the day, we took to the road that follows the river. Here we were off the beaten 'tourist' track, passing endless paddy fields, catching glimpses of the Mekong and  stopping at local stores for refreshments. Being on the back of  his bike, I found we were quite conspicuous, as not too many 'foreigners venture this far out of town!!
We were waved at, pointed at, and continually greeted and welcomed wherever we stopped.

 
Working in the fields

 
 
 
Anyone would think I hadn't seen a cow before........!!
At one point we stopped to admire this Banana Plant, being a particularly uncommon variety.  Normally the Banana flowers are red and hang downwards.
The plant was growing at the entrance to a large village house and the owner seemed pleased we had taken an interest in it and were taking photos. The next moment, Bruce was handed a small shovel and was invited to dig up a juvenile plant near its base. Later being taken home and presented to his father and placed in his garden......

 
Bruce's home

 
His Father

His Mother
 
His Dog Coco with puppy......

Bruce with Coco

No comments:

Post a Comment