Monday 14 September 2009

Thailand: Bangkok - Visiting my local market

For a while now, I have been experiencing a problem with posting to 'Nigel's Blog', that I set up in May 2008. Having  served me well for over a year I wish to continue, so this is the result.....

Also, since I purchased my Sony Handycam in May of this year, I have very much neglected my blog and become a YouTube addict....!!! I have so such fun making movies, adding a soundtrack, inserting  background noises, writing a commentary, adding special effects and fun titles.....
Also, I find that my videos are viewed by people from all around the globe  which is most  satisfying and tends to spur me on.....  I receive many positive and encouraging comments too, so the long hours I put in editing the movies  etc makes it all worthwhile.  Now I can fully appreciate the years and years my father  spent making “home movies”  with no external aids to help.....amazing. I wonder what he would think on todays’ technology........

Anyway, I am ever mindful of my blog  and the enjoyment I get from posting words and pictures on it. In many ways it is rather like writing a letter to family and friends, keeping those dear to me in the loop, as it were, of my travels & whereabouts, even though I still email and do a postcard run.... talking of which there will be one of those in the next week or so, so keep an eye on your postboxes and have a fridge magnet ready........!!

I am also mindful that you want to see more photos of me, a trifle difficult when I am always behind the lens rather than being in front of it..... but listen to you, I do, so this entry is for you -

My apartment is located in the district of Din Daeng  and “our”  market is one of the best (well I think so) in Bangkok...... Most days I walk past the colourful stalls, stop to buy fresh fruit, look thru the clothesware and peep at the ‘pirated’ dvd’s.  Always wishing I had my camera, to record the colours and vibrancy of the place, I recently had the opportunity to do just that. Here is the result..............

 
En route....

Now is the season for Durian fruit......
You either love it or hate it!
I am decidedly in he latter camp........!!

Mmmmm.... Star Fruit.
A little expensive at this stall

General views

'Kaew mangkorn' or Dragon Fruit in the foreground,
Rambutan in the middle,  Lam-Yai at the far end.....


 
These steamed 'corn on the cob' are delicious.....

So much to choose.......

 The fresh fish stall has an odour that is.......
Well, I think my face says it all!!!!!
 
Plates of fresh limes, packets of red & green chillies.....

At the flower stall.......

I am reminder of the expression - 
"an apple a day keeps the doctor away"
  
One of the many market cats........

Mustn't forget to have a posey of fresh orchids....


Now, where do I start.....


Mmmm.... think I'll give this a miss!!


 
So many types of rice.......

What am I thinking about here?.....


 
Whatever it is, something has caught my eye.....

Of course, carrots.....silly me!!
 
OK! but only a couple.......

Here I'm buying 'Kawtommud', savoury rice cakes....

'Khanomtaan',  wonderful desserts 
topped with shredded coconut........yum!!

Now how many kilos of these mangoes should I get......!

On my way home with my purchases....
But where is my helmet?

Ah! that's better..........!

Back at the apartment.
A picture of satorial elegance!!
My great thabks goes to my good friend Bruce who took all the photographs.....
I hope he had as much fun as I did on our shopping spree to Huai Khwang Market.
Khob Khun maak I mah noy



1 comment:

  1. Fantastic, Emily entranced, will show Charlie when he arrives back from pre school. Great to see you in all the photos, the market looks beautiful and full of such an array of things..... beats tesco any day! Speak soon lovey, XXXs

    ReplyDelete