Thursday 29 October 2009

Thailand: Chonburi - An "English Camp"

Recently, I spent two days at an "English Camp" for a local school in Chonburi. The journey to Chonburi which is about 100 km east of Bangkok on the coast, took a couple of hours and was held in the 'safe haven' of a Thai Army base, in the midst of a forested area next to the sea shore.

I had had the good fortune of having been invited by Bruce's church group, who were running the Camp for the school. Although the group could speak English, they wanted a couple of 'native' speakers to add weight to the sessions.... I was joined by a couple of young Americans and a New Zealander. And, of course, I took my camera along with me too, although in the end, I did not have the opportunity to use it a great deal......

The first day started really early with a 5.00 am alarm call, followed by a twenty minute bike ride, a short meeting to acquaint everyone with each other and finally a mini-bus journey to Chonburi. I had the ominous feeling that the next two days were not going to be a joy ride!!!

We arrived at 'base-camp' just as the 85 children, aged between 8 and 12 years, were descending from two coaches, together with the Head Master, a number of teachers and assistants.....
Following a school briefing by the Headmaster, the church group took over the days' proceedings.
The children were assigned into seven groups and given their group name associated with children's stories, such as Aladdin, Pocahontas & Peter Pan. I forget now, the others!!!!!!!!

'Peter Pan' was Bruce's group and my role, so I gathered, was pretty flexible - I could wander from group to group talking to the children or take a more direct approach and aid Bruce and his group. I chose the latter.
Singing English childhood songs was the backbone of the two days, together with a group 'skit' based on their character. I might be biased, but 'our' Peter Pan' skit seemed the best of all seven. I must say Bruce was amazing, his patience with the children, coaching them through their lines, done with all smiles and enthusiasm.

Where ever possible, English was spoken, a delight for me!!! Sometimes the youngest children looked 'lost' so Thai was used for clarification.......
As a group of so many children, they were all remarkably well behaved, the elder ones helping the younger ones, no fighting, squabbling or bad language. I am sure this would not happen in the UK!!

I came into my element, with the 'vocabulary activities' on the second day. Each group, in turn, would come to 'our classroom' where I would go through word games, aided by Bruce. This was good fun - one I particularly liked was the pronunciation game, showing the differences between sh and ch, th and ve.... etc.

Our accommodation was basic, barrack-style building with only a couple of the rooms having a bathroom. I ended up having a shower in one of the 'boys' rooms whilst they were busy watching tv with one of their teachers'......

Unfortunately I found the two days quite exhausting, I lacked energy, had a neck ache throughout and my legs were decidedly unsteady. Since my return to Bangkok, I have learned that I have "Spinal Stenosis" and require surgery.......
Non-the-less I had a thoroughly enjoyable time.






Headmaster addresses the Group
with some of the teaching staff





Bruce is on the drums.............!






The other 'native' speakers showing off their singing skills......





Luncheon break




The youngest member of "Peter Pan'......





and the cheekiest .........




The Church Group





No comments:

Post a Comment