Monday 12 October 2009

Thailand: Phuket Island Re-visited - quiet places

Despite the continuing building frenzy; the new resorts, gated town house developments, sea-view apartments, the excesses of Patong, (Phuket's main tourist destination, known for it's 2 km long white sandy beach and heady nightlife. I remember the place well in the 1980's when it was little more than a fishing town.......!!), I still like Phuket.
I like it, cos' all is familiar.
I like it, 'cos I am still able to find out of the way places, off the 'tourist trail'.
and I like it, 'cos I am with a Thai friend showing him the sights. All the 'locals' we meet seem amused & delighted that a 'farang' (foreigner) is shows their island to a Thai rather than the other way round!!.....






Chalong Bay from Cape Khaokhat







Fish- farming in the Bay





The small fishing community at Talat Yai This is close to Phuket Zoo
& around the corner from the
house I rented in 2006.....





Brother & sister seek shade from the sun.....







Beginnings of the Mangrove Forest at Talat Yai









The quiet 'uncrowded' beach of Markham Bay on Cape Panwa




The foreshore is covered with these 'Sand flowers'






Looking down the beach to the north






and to the south

This is Markham Bay, looking south, full shot!!!!!




Mmmmmmm!!!





I wonder if this little crab realizes his habitat is in danger.......





Traditional fishing boats moored in Rawaii Bay






A windswept view of Kamala Beach on the west coast






Having explored both the East and West coasts of Phuket, it was time to head inland and show Bruce the out of the way places in the foothills of the mountains The Phuket Mountain Range forms a backbone between the East & West side of the island. For the most part, this limestone range is covered with lush tropical jungle with just a few roads crossing between the two sides. In all, forest, rubber and palm oil plantations cover 60% of the island. The Rubber tree plantations help make Thailand the biggest producer of rubber in the world.






One of the many Rubber plantations on the Island





Collecting the natural rubber from the trees







Red Coconuts
I have only ever seen these here in Phuket.....




Growing pineapple





Water Buffalo family






Squirrels at Rang Hill, Phuket Town









This 'little fellow' landed on my shoulder as I was riding my motorbike......






I liked this 'Street dog' with one eye.....







aaaaaagh! how cute.........!!



No comments:

Post a Comment