Sunday 27 December 2009

Laos: Vientiane - A stroll thru' the "Sandlewood City"

Having lived for a little over a year now in Bangkok, coming to Vientiane is such a contrast and the more I see of the city, the more comfortable I feel here....... as this is , more than likely, to be my new home within the next couple of months.

I start my walk along the great Mekong River, with view across the waters to Thailand. Few vessels ply thru' her waters, but there is a sense of serenity and beauty about the river, that I really like......





Looking along the Mekong towards the city centre.....






"Fish farm"  nearby....






Old river boat.........






River fisherman ......






Unloading supplies







These ferry passengers across the river to Thailand.....











From here, my path takes me to an area overlooking the Dom Chan,
a huge sandbank  that varies in size  with the changing of the river's height.
Here the earth is rich and fertile & good fo growing.....





Riverside allotments are popular with the locals






often under water during the rainy season.....









 

Yours truly.....



Leaving the River Mekong behind, I now head towards the city centre




Entrance to Pha That Luang.
This 'Stupa' is the most important national monument in Laos,
and is both a symbol for the Buddhist faith and Lao sovereignty.....








 From here, I retrace my steps to visit a large gate....



 

The Patuxai
Vientiane's own "Arch of Triumph" that was built in the 1960's
with US purchased cement that had been ear-marked for the
construction of a new airport.......!






Ceiling detail at the apex of the arch






Souvenir stand on the second level....






Spiral staircase to the top...






View from the top of the arch down
Lan Xang Boulevard








Street vendor.....






Statue of King Sisavang Vong 1904 -1959








Immediately behind the statue is a much revered Buddhist temple:
Wat Si Muang and home to the "Lak Meuang" or city pillar

At the entrance to the temple are several 'shops' selling devotions for the faithful:








 












and these 'captured birds that are "bought' by people and
released in the temple grounds for good luck....






The main Temple Hall housing the city pillar


I particular like the exterior 'furnishings' at this temple....
Here are a few-












 

















 A little foot weary, I head to find some refreshment...........



1 comment:

  1. Nigel,
    The photos, as always, are stunning. The beautiful colour of the city and the beauty of the Meekong. I can see why you would like to make it your new home.
    Seeing the photos and reading the blog reassures me that you are well.
    Much love dear cousin
    Louise

    ReplyDelete