Friday 4 December 2009

Thailand: Bangkok - Further glimpses of the "Old City"

My second walk, again takes me thru the "Old City" of Bangkok. This particular one being one of my favourites.

My starting point again is the last point of call on the Khlong Saen Seap. This time, though, I head south following what would have been the old walls of Bangkok. My first stop is at The Golden Mount Temple, that forms part of Wat Saket. The climb is long and as I find it worse going down than up, I prefer to stay at the base of the Mount, in the cool shade of the trees, concentrating looking at the jumble of bricks, overgrown bushes, Buddha images, forgotten grottoes and numerous shrines to the departed:












 


















The surrounding streets around the Mount are noted for their numerous wood workshops
for the construction industry. Here can be found anything from turned door knobs,
finely carved finials, cable ends, floor boarding and doors.....





 One of the many shops specializing in wooden objects for house construction





 

Door maker






catching up on the news......






....seems to be a popular pastime here!!!






Around the corner is this metal worker specializing
in fashioning monks alms bowls.




 

I now cross over the Khlong Kumueng Doem, the
original city moat and I am now within the confines
of the "Old City" of Bangkok.

I now take the oportunity of visiting one of my most favourite temples in Bangkok, the
delightful, historical Wat Thepthidaram, built during the reign of King Rama III between 1836 - 1839 for his beloved daughter. The building style is Sino-Thai.....





Entrance to the Ubosot (Ordination Hall)






The interior of the Ubosot with the revered Buddha figure
known as Luang Phor Khao






Detail of the Buddha figure






Gilded Buddha figure at the base of the main statue






Portrait of King Rama III






Painting in the Viharn






Within the living quarters of the monks is a small room, or  Kuti,  devoted to
the celebrated Thai poet Sunthorn Phu who was a monk here....






another avid reader.....!!



Leaving the temple, I continue my walk south.....




Instant repairs on the street...... luv it!!






Basket work shop





In this part of the city are many shops specializing in homeware






No home in Thailand is complete without its Spirit House



Having decided not to buy my own spirit house,
I venture on and decide to seek sanctuary in a former Bangkok prison......!

 


The prison dates to the reign of King Rama V and all but a couple
of the buildings have been torn down and turned into a Park,
called Rommaninat, in celebration of Queen Sirikit's 60th birthday






This is the only "Cell Block" still extant






One of a number of "watch towers" have been kept.
This one set in the middle of a pond.....!






Old gate-way to the prison






Similar to most parks in Bangkok, this is an outside gym......
popular too:







and the grounds are well kept by an army of "cleaners"







 I leave the park by the north entrance, cross over the road and enter another Temple.
Another of my favourites as the wall paintings here are exquisite.
Now, I never set out to do a temple tour on this walk, it just happens,
that in this part of the city, it is impossible to go a far without passing one......!!







Entrance to the Viharn at Wat Suthat







The main Buddha Image inside the Viharn.





It is a common sight in all temples across Thailand to see the
devotees all dressed in "the"purity of white" to honour the King's birthday
Here in Wat Suthat there is no exception.....






Lunch stop being taken in the "cloisters"






Bedding and mosquito netting ready for the night






This man is taking an early afternoon kip nearby.....!!!


I have come to the Ubosot to see the wall paintings that cover every centremetre
of the hall: here are just a few.........really!!

























 I now make my way out of Wat Suthat and head towards the river.
My journey takes me thru' an area devoted to shops specializing
in goods for the monks and temples.










 










 


Side street honouring the King.....


Couple of streets later, I am at the River Chao Phraya, my final
destination......







Off home to have my daily massage.......mmmmm!

No comments:

Post a Comment