Wednesday 2 December 2009

Thailand: Bangkok - A walk thru' the "Old City"


I am determined to have some form of exercise, most days, whilst my body heals..... at present, due to my unstable legs, walking is about the only form I can do without putting strain on my neck. Swimming is off limits for a while......I do cut a strange figure, at times, when I suddenly loose balance, much to the amusement of the locals!! 

The following picture essay was taken on the walk I took in the "Old City" of Bangkok.
I started by taking the express boat along the Khlong Saen Seap from near home to the edge of the Old City......






From the Khlong, my first stop is the democracy Monument
constructed in 1932 to commemorate Thailand's
first constitution.




 


The Monument is located at Ratchadamnoen Avenue
part of the processional route on Saturday 5th December
to celebrate King Bhumibol's 82nd Birthday

All along the route are giant posters of the King -








 


Taking a side road, I pass a small segment of the original city walls.
All that is left of the fortifications that once surrounded the city









Opposite is a much revered & important Temple, Wat Bowornniwet.
Built between 1824-1832, this is the temple that the male
members of the royal family, spend time as monks.....


 

The Golden Chedi at Wat  Bowornniwet.



 

The fine Buddha image at the Temple


Leaving the temple, I bypass Khoa San Road, the heart
of Bangkok's backpacker district and head towards the river
via Phra Sumen Fort. One of the two remaining forts in old Bangkok
constructed in 1783 to fortify the old city during the reign of King Rama I
when Bangkok was established as the new capital.










The Thai-style pavilion in the fort's riverside park.





Poster in the park





View towards Rama VIII Bridge from the park





View across the river


I take the riverside walkway and head towards Bangkok's
Amulet Market. En-route, I make a detour to visit
Wat Mahathat. The Temple predates the founding of Bangkok
in 1792 but was significantly altered after one of the temple's
monks, the young Prince Mongkut became King Rama IV.





 Entrance to Wat Mahathat






Buddha images in the temple's "cloisters".











Statue of King Rama I in the Temple grounds


Leaving the Temple, I stroll down Thanon Mahara,
the centre of Bangkok's Amulet Market





Fresh cut pineapple seller on the street






Amulet Stall






Monk looking at Amulets






Thai desert seller.....



Leaving the market, I head towards Wat Phra Kaew
passing this attractive poster of The King and Queen






Finally, I reach my goal, Wat Phra Kaew





 

No comments:

Post a Comment